Can UK Recycling Manufacturers Sell in Germany?
Germany has been one of the main recycling driving forces in the EU and this has helped develop a very successful Recycling Equipment Manufacturing sector. German manufacturers have often led the way with the development of new recycling technology and have been very successful at exporting to other EU countries including the UK, the USA and generally around the world.
The Recycling Market
With such a strong indigenous recycling equipment sector, breaking into the German market can be challenging. However, with the right strategy and good quality engineering it is possible to secure a portion of the largest recycling market in Europe and here are some guidelines:
- Ensure that the Recycling Equipment is well designed and manufactured. This might sound obvious, but supplying the equipment to a German customer that proves problematic may result in that being the last that ever crosses the border;
- Enlist the support of a well-known and respected Marketing Agent or Distributor. Even though they may not be an employee, develop a relationship whereby they are an extension of the company in Germany. Bunting Magnetics is presently searching for Marketing Agents in Germany for the recycling sector and if this is of interest, please contact us via our website or email Dave Hills at email@example.com;
- Converse and provide good technical documentation in German. Even though many Germans speak excellent English and their language skills are far more developed that people in the UK, providing information in the local language is essential to be successful. Bunting has invested in having German speaking sales staff based at the headquarters in Berkhamsted, UK;
- After the equipment has been supplied, ensure that there is good after-sales service with regular visits and easy provision of spares;
- Don’t be frightened of the local competition. Like any other business, German companies want to buy good equipment at the right price from a company that they can trust;
- Introduce new technology to the market. On the 4th and 5th November, Bunting is launching a new Magnetic Separator for separating and recovering weakly magnetic materials like Stainless Steel at the Recycling Technik show in Dortmund. The High Intensity Separation Conveyor was launched at RWM 2015 (a major UK recycling show) in September 2015 and this will be the first time it is exhibited in Germany;
- Exhibit at trade shows. German exhibitions are, arguably, the best in Europe and offer an ideal platform to introduce and promote a company and equipment to potential customers. Also, have the Recycling Equipment working on the stand as ‘seeing is believing’.
- Walk trade show, assessing the market and the competition. This is a key part of researching the market and often simply highlights the huge potential.
The opportunities in the recycling sector in Germany are greater than any other country in Europe and it is time that UK Recycling Equipment Manufacturers secured a larger share of that market. We look forward to seeing you at Recycling Technik in Dortmund.
Bunting Magnetics design, manufacture and supply an extensive range of metal separation equipment including Magnetic Separators, Eddy Current Separators and Metal Detectors.